Monday 18 March 2013

Growing Sweet Peas ~ Update

It was less than three weeks ago when I told you I was growing sweet peas, and I can't believe how much they have grown in that short time! See the first post here. They seem to be very happy on my kitchen windowsill, I water them every few days and have picked off the first flowers (as one of my lovely readers recommended). 

As you can see the plants were starting to get out of control:



This morning we had lovely sunshine, so I went for a walk with the kids down to our local hardware store. The lady in there is so helpful and she kitted me out with small canes and some great wire stuff for tying the plants up.

I made a cute wigwam support with the canes and some string and carefully tied the plants up, then gave them a good water. Hope I have done it right?



But whats next? If they need to stay indoors for another month then they are going to be much higher than this support and will start trailing again. Any advice welcome as I'm a complete novice :)

Thank you for reading xx


Remember to check out my giveaway here - closes 29th March xx

6 comments:

  1. I would say with another month they are really going to zoom as they look really healthy. You will probably need to re-pot again, just see how they go, and it may be worth on a sunnier day to put them outside for the day but bring them inside again in the evening so you can start hardening them ready to be planted out. Hope this helps. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chel, I can't wait for some sunny days - its trying to snow here today! Definitely a good idea though and I will put them out as soon as the sun makes an appearance :) I hadn't thought about re-potting them but you're right, they are going to get way too big for this pot.
      Thanks for the advice, Tracy x

      Delete
  2. Wow! They are growing well! I need to get some little canes like yours too as mine are getting too tall to support themselves. I think maybe I didnt plant enough seeds in the pot as mine arent as bushy as yours.
    Anyway, I hope yours continue to do well and that you are rewarded with lots of lovely flowers.
    Mandy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy, I cheated and didn't do them from seed, I bought three plants which at the time I thought wouldn't be enough but they are getting rather bushy :) Would it be too late to add some more seeds to your pot?
      I can't wait to see how they turn out xx

      Delete
  3. Hi Tracy, I not sure if I should add more to the pot but I guess I could try as cant see that it would do any harm and I do have some seeds left in the pack. I didnt know you could buy them as plants. Just goes to show my lack of plant knowledge. Blush.
    Look forward to your next sweetpea update!
    Mandy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on that one - complete beginner! I just happened to see them on a market stall for £1 each so bought 3 and thought I would give them a go.
      Like you say no harm in adding a few more, I suppose they will just grow at different rates.
      Let me know when you put yours outside x

      Delete

I would love to hear from you xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...