Sunday 21 April 2013

Turning the garden shed into a playhouse ~ Part 1

I was looking into buying a playhouse for the kids to have in the garden for summer, there are some really gorgeous ones around but they are also really pricey!! We have quite a large shed at the end of the garden with not a lot in, so I have decided to try and turn this into a playhouse. I started reading up on it and forums were talking about insulating the inside and boarding, new doors and window etc etc. but I don't think it needs to be that complicated. I just want somewhere fun they can play in the summer whilst I'm gardening, and then in the winter it can be turned back into toy storage.  

I want to paint it in fun colours, inside and out, and put some bunting up (which I'm planning on making with oilcloth). Then put their toy kitchen inside with a little table and chairs so they can have picnics in there!! Its a lot of work to do and not a lot of time to do it as I want them to be able to use it this spring/summer so I better crack on. 

Here are a few of the before and during pictures:









Please excuse the mess at the back of the garden, that's a whole other project!

I have gone for Cuprinol garden shades for the colours, mainly because they are fun and bright but also because they were on offer in Homebase :)



I can't wait to show you the finished result!

Thank you for reading xx

Edited to add - see here for part 2.

9 comments:

  1. It's looking brilliant already- very beach hut-esque :) Looking forward to seeing more after photos and your bunting.

    I've been considering doing something similar with our shed- not for the kids (we don't have any yet) but for me! Haha. After watching George's Small Spaces I felt inspired to make my own tiny haven; but I know in reality I'd spend 2 hours checking for spiders about to jump out at me, and then it would be time to go back inside :p xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will look even more like a beach hut when I do the window white :)

    I haven't enjoyed sweeping away the cobwebs and spiders but don't suppose the kids will mind once they are playing in there. If you were going to use it for yourself as a craft shed type thing then you might have to insulate it to stop any soft furnishings getting damp?

    I just need the weather to stay dry so I can get on with it xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of handy tips on this website:
    http://www.doityourself.com/stry/sealing-a-wooden-playhouse

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project! Cant wait to see the 'after' photos! Mandy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to finish it, I was hoping to get out there today whilst my Son is at pre-school but looking a little overcast :(
      Hope you are well x

      Delete
  5. I've just been looking for inspiration for our own shed and found yours! It looks fantastic, I'd love to do something similar. I don't suppose you can remember how much paint you used. I have no idea if 1 2.5L tin will be enough for a similar size shed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenni,
      Thank you! I cheated slightly as I couldn't get round the back or one side to paint them so have left them!! I also had a 2.5l tin and that did 2 coats and a third coat on the doors, and I have about a third of the tin left. Hope that makes sense!! I reckon one coat would do 2coats on the whole shed :) xx

      Delete
  6. I love the colour it looks very duck egg blue. I think it will be really great for your children.
    I'm looking at buying a summerhouse for my garden so I can turn it into a bit of a craft room. They are expensive and I have been looking at secondhand ones that I can do up. But they are always too far away at the moment.So I will have to be patience at the moment.
    Looking forward to the finished result.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rosezeeta, welcome to my blog! The playhouse is almost finished, I only got to do one coat of paint on the inside and then wanted to get all the toys in so the kids got some play out of it in the Summer! Its currently full to the brim with the slides, bikes and other toys which have been put away now for the winter. I'm looking forward to finishing it in the spring and for them to get lots of play out of it :)
      Good luck finding your summer house
      Tracy xx

      Delete

I would love to hear from you xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...