Monday 24 March 2014

Before and After ~The Downstairs Loo

Our downstairs loo is tiny, its so tiny I hardly ever go in there. We have thought on many occasion about taking it out and having a nice spacious area at the bottom of the stairs - maybe with a desk in or a nice comfy chair and make it a reading area? However we found that it proved to be invaluable during potty training so for now it remains!!

So, as it is staying it has also been turned white along with the rest of the house!

We had a not very pleasant green carpet going from the hall, up the stairs and onto the landing that was there when we moved in - and it was also in the downstairs loo! I hate carpet in bathrooms so I pulled it up, and wish I had done so sooner as these lovely floorboards were under there!

 
I pulled up the gripper rods, sanded them, filled in any holes with wood filler, sanded again, undercoated with Farrow & Ball Wood floor primer & undercoat in white & light tones, and then gave it two coats of Farrow & Ball Floor paint in Cornforth White.
 

It was well worth the effort! Really pleased with the result! Also, love the metal basket from Sainsburys - perfect for the downstairs loo! The skirting is painted in Farrow & Ball eggshell 'Strong White' and the walls are painted in Crown emulsion 'Sail White'.  


As you can see I have gone for a coastal theme, not very original I know but very pretty :) The ceramic bowl was made by my Partner, we have a matching one in the bathroom which you can see here.


 
 Charity shop mirror painted in Annie Sloan 'Old White'.

 
 
As well as painting the floorboards in the downstairs loo, I have also painted them in the Hallway but will save that for another day! The stairs are next eek!
 
Thank you for reading xx
 
 
 
 
Today I am linking up with:
The Dedicated House ~ Make it Pretty Monday

8 comments:

  1. Sooo pretty! Good luck with the stairs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Your stairs are my motivation to get on with it! I will be looking back at yours for tips before I start :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bathroom looks so very beautiful! OH MY!!! I just love how you did the floors and all of the little touches you added to make the space functional and pretty!! We have a very small upstairs bath that we just fixed up so I can so relate to space issues! Hands down amazing before and after and such a wonderful blog you have here! I am looking forward to journeying along with you! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nicole, welcome to my blog! Thank you for your kind comments xx

      Delete
  4. Re hand soap - your secret is safe with me! :)
    Love what you have done with your downstairs loo. From my experience, having an extra loo is invaluable even when your kids are older. Hang on to it!
    You are doing a great job with your house. Good luck with the stairs!
    Mandy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha :)
      Thank you! We are getting there slowly but surely - mainly when the kids are asleep :) Yes, have to agree - much easier when the kids are playing outside and can dash in quickly to use the loo!
      The stairs will take a while I think, will show the hallway next just a couple of finishing touches to do xx

      Delete
  5. Those floorboards are lovely! I've been eyeing up that basket myself- good to know that it's the perfect size for loo rolls :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely recommend it, its a great size, even tempted to buy another! :) x

      Delete

I would love to hear from you xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...